To direct the operations of the various Divisions within the Technical Services Directorate by ensuring their contribution to the strategic objectives of the Ministry and to support the Ministry in its pursuit of agricultural growth and viability. The incumbent is also required to assist the Permanent Secretary in the overall efficient management of the Ministry.
- Policy recommendations
- Legislative reviews recommended
- Strategic Operational Plans
- Operational policies and procedures
- Technical advice
- Reports and technical, papers produced
- Effective leadership
- Staff assessed and evaluated
- Staff needs identified and addressed
- Competent staff
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
Management and Administrative
- Participates in the development of the strategic direction of the Ministry.
- Leads the development and implementation of the division’s operational plan and budget ensuring consistency with the overall strategic objectives and agricultural development policy and programmes of the Ministry.
- Provides technical advice to the Permanent Secretary and Minister on agricultural issues and other related technical matters and prepares technical papers as required.
- Periodically reviews existing policies and makes recommendations for policy changes where necessary to maintain currency and relevance to the strategic objectives of the Ministry and international standards.
- Consistently examines local, regional and international trends in agriculture and makes recommendations for policy review/development where necessary to place the local industry in a more advantageous position in relation to relevant locations.
- Provides technical advice and participates in the development of position papers to articulate Jamaica’s position in dealing with matters including agriculture in international fora.
- Provides technical advice on matters to protect the health of the population from an agricultural perspective.
- Leads the development of a framework to guide technical research and development within the Ministry.
- Develops implements and maintains policies and procedures to guide the operations of the division including reporting and information management. Oversees and ensures the departments within the span of control operate within the established policies and procedures.
- Oversees and ensures the effective implementation of the overall national programmes and projects undertaken by the departments within the span of control; analyses and makes recommendations for changes where necessary to achieve programmes/projects objectives or to align with shifts in national priorities.
- Assists the Permanent Secretary in the day to day management of the Ministry, providing leadership in the development and implementation of change initiatives, creating and fostering a culture of high performance and customer orientation throughout the Ministry.
- Represents the Ministry at local and international meetings, conferences and other fora as required.
- Prepares and submits performance and other reports as required and ensures timely submission of all documents/information requested from the Divisions.
Human Resource Management
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommends and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organisational goals.
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Division and recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established human resource policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the Human Resource Department, develops and implements a succession planning programme for the Division to facilitate continuity and the availability of required skills and competencies to meet the needs of the Division
- Provides leadership and guidance to direct reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching.
- Ensures the welfare and developmental needs of staff in the Division are clearly identified and addressed.
- Establishes and maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the Division’s and organisation’s goals.
- Leads/participates in internal and external cross-functional teams to achieve Ministry objectives as required.
- Deputises for the Permanent Secretary in his absence
- Performs such other duties and responsibilities as may be determined by the Permanent Secretary from time to time.
- Established Divisional and personal targets are achieved.
- The Division’s operational plans and budgets are in sync with the strategic objectives of the Ministry. The activities of the Division are carried out according to plan and within approved budget.
- All operating guidelines, policies and procedures are documented and current.
- Policy recommendations are feasible, support the ministry’s strategic objectives and provided within agreed timeframe.
- Sound technical advice is provided within established timeframe.
- Reports, technical papers and other documents produced are accurate, comprehensive and submitted within established timeframe.
- Effective leadership and guidance are provided to staff and they are competent and productive.
- Development and welfare of employees in the Division are identified and adequately addressed.
- High ethical standards are maintained in the conduct of professional and personal business
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Good interpersonal and people management skills
- Knowledge of the operations of government
- Ability to analyse and interpret changes in the economic, political and social environment.
- Ability to effectively plan and organise in a complex environment with competing priorities subject to public scrutiny.
- Ability to use Government processes effectively in the achievement of objectives
- Ability to lead and manage change initiatives.
- Sound technical knowledge
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong customer orientation skills
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications
Special Conditions Associated with the job
- Typical office environment, no adverse working condition
- Approves expenditure within assigned limits
- Recommends disciplinary action in keeping with human resources policies and procedures
- Recommends new policy development and/or changes
- Approves leave
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Environmental Resource Management, Public Sector Management or related discipline
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management or related discipline
- At least ten years related experience Private or Public Sector at least five (5) of which should be at a Senior Management Level.
Salary: $5,233,983-$6,221,562 p.a.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than March 4, 2019.
Please note that we thank all for responding, but only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.